Saturday, September 21, 2013

September 21, 2013  Another Trim for Sassy.


I went to the barn on Friday evening and I ran out of day light, then my phone battery died. I only got a couple pictures of her front feet.  I did trim her front feet that night.  My hubby and I went back out today and Finished up her front and then did the back. Her are the pictures we took. We used anI-phone this time. I think it took better pictures.

 The Right hind front view before.
 Next is after trim.
 
Right Hind Side views before and after trim. 

 
Sole views of the Right hind.
 

 
Here are a couple side views. Before and after trim.
 


 
I have not read Maureen's book for a couple weeks. I try to read it before I go out to trim, so it is fresh in my mind.  Well I just went to her web site and watched the power point stuff.  I think I skipped a few steps.  The hole time I was up there I was trying to hurry before the sun went down and Sassy was not standing good for me.  Tons of flies out there I even with fly spray. I guess I will have to go out and fix what I have done next week.  
 
Here is what I think I should have done.  First Trim height above the sole down to the sole at the toe and up to 1/4 inch above the sole at the heels.  Next bevel the toe around to the quarters.  Last clean up the top of the bevel.
 
What I am having trouble with is Where to start the bevel on the sole. I believe it should start a 1/4 in front of the sole ridge until you can get back to the sole ridge safely.   I forget this step when I get to the barn. You can clearly see in the above sole view and the side view I did not trim the height above the sole very good. Also I did not start my bevel back into the hoof far enough.  I guess I am just afraid of making her lame!   HuMMMMMMM   This was the last hoof I trimmed I always slack on the last one. Lets check the others.
 
 
 

 

 

This is the Left hind front views before and after trimming.


 
Left Hind Side views.
 


 
I am getting better at the bevel! WOOT!!!
 
Now the Sole vies of the Left Hind.

 
On this hoof you can see she is growing a bar in!  Yet again I did not trim down to sole level.  I just took off some length and beveled.  Humm I am not happy with my self.
 
Here are the Left hind side views. Before and after trimming. 

 
I just watched Maureens new video about her up coming DVD.  Sassy hoof does not look like those mustang hooves. 
 

Now the Left front, front views!  
 


 
I think my bevel was very good on this hoof. I am sure I did not start it back far enough but I have a good angle. Sorry about the dark pictures! Like I said the sun was going down fast!
 
 
Side views of Left front. Before the trim is the top picture.
 

The angle of the hoof has changed a lot. But wait till you see the sole view. I did not do a good job at all.  Again I am not sure how far back to start the bevel, so I was just beveling the hoof wall with 1/4 inch above the sole. 
 
Here is the sole view of the Left Front hoof.  



 


She is pretty long it has been 4 weeks from the last trim.  The bottom hoof looks like its time for a trim.  My phone died when I was trying to take a picture of this hoof after I trimmed it on Friday. So she walked on this all night.  I did fix a few things after we took this picture. I trimmed the right side of the toe some more to make it the same length as the other one.
 
Front views of the Front Right hoof!
 



 
You can see the nail holes in the top photo but they are gone in the bottom one!
 
Side views of the right front hoof.
 


 
Pictures are worth a thousand words!
 
 
And the sole view of the Right front.


 
Again my phone died before I could take a picture right after I trimmed her.  I can see here I did not take enough off again.
 
Side views.

 

 
 
 
I have drawn on this photo. You might not be able to see it very good. The red line is the sole ridge the blue line is where I started my bevel. The yellow line is where I think I should start my bevel. I know the yellow line is not 45 degrees for the bevel, the perspective is wrong. You get the idea I hope. 
 
 
 
 
Let me know if you want to see any other pictures. Also I will be going up to fix what I have done next week so expect a new post soon!  Thanks all that read. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment